Monday, February 23, 2009

All worldly and cultured

Ok so I have had a busy weekend which is ultimately lead to me being sick today but in retrospect, it was well worth it.

Lets start with this long running thought I had about me being all open, worldly and cultured but now I think, maybe not. BUT I now think that it is ok not to be in every instance. What started such contemplation in my head, which I won't lie caused a bit of brain pain was a trip to the Tate Modern on Saturday. Don't get me wrong I love art. I find reflection in it, I find stimulation of thought it in but lets face it the most important thing is that it looks pretty. Or so I thought, wandering this expansive and somewhat confusing fucking million floor building I didn't find myself overly stimulated. What I did find myself appreciating was the view out of the window onto the Thames and the idea of feeling all cultured and arty when walking or should I stumbling with sore feet around the gallery.

Some of the artwork was amazing really caught my eye. But majority did not. I think the 80/20 rule would apply here. Maybe it was because I wasn't in the right frame of mind or maybe it was because I was feeling tired and slightly hung-over from Friday’s excursions OR maybe I’m just making excuses but I found myself thinking along the lines of my loveable but slightly intolerant and less cultured Father. One love I did find in there was a box or at least the frame of a box which I want to put in my room with a cushion as a thinking box. Slightly disturbing I know but is what I wanted in my dehydrated slightly more cultured haze.

In more clarity I found myself thinking I claim to enjoy such artistic freedom and creativity but looking at these random shapes of steel or a big canvas painted all black? (like I couldn't do that and sell it for 000's of pounds) I thought what the fuck is this? I know I am so uncouth but hey it is how I felt. Maybe this is ok as I enjoy such things as walking along the Thames or the theatre. I went to see Avenue Q the same evening which I will no doubt write about in a separate blog, but as a very brief summary, impressive, hilarious and better than I expected. Maybe the fact I liked ridiculously sarcastic, hilarious totally foulmouthed puppets says a lot about my character? But there is always room for improvement :).

So Tate modern? For the uncultured of us? For the hung-over of us? For the pretenders of us... who knows? Make your own mind up time!

No comments:

Post a Comment